Edit, cancel, or reverse an employee payroll

Editing Payroll: Options and Recommendations

Depending on the processing status of your payroll, there are several options available to make changes.

Underpaid Team Member: If you discover that someone on your team was underpaid, we recommend running an off-cycle payroll to rectify the situation. An off-cycle payroll allows you to process a separate payment outside of the regular pay schedule, ensuring the underpayment is corrected.

Editing Payroll: If the payroll status is pending and it is before the 4pm EST cut-off time on your pre-funding date, you can edit the payroll without needing to re-run it.

When a payroll is in the pending status, it means that it hasn't been processed yet and is still open for modifications. This allows you to review and adjust various aspects of the payroll, such as employee wages, deductions, and other relevant information.

To edit a pending payroll, follow these steps:

  1. Access your payroll management system or software.
  2. Click on the "Run Payroll" option.
  3. Navigate to the "Recent Payrolls" tab.
  4. Look for the specific payroll you wish to edit.
  5. Under the "Action" column, click on the three dots (...) next to the payroll entry.
  6. From the options that appear, select "Edit"


Skipping Payroll: In cases where you do not wish to process an upcoming payroll or have payrolls from the previous year that are no longer relevant, it is possible to skip them. By choosing to skip a payroll, you exclude it from the current payroll cycle, avoiding unnecessary processing.

Payroll on Auto Run: If you are using the Payroll on auto run feature, and you decide not to process an upcoming payroll, simply un-check the auto run for a particular pay group.

Cancelling an Off-Cycle or Bonus Payroll: In the event of mistakenly canceling an off-cycle or bonus payroll, it is necessary to start over and reprocess the payroll. Take care to review the details and ensure accurate processing.

Changing Payment Method: If you initially paid an employee using direct deposit but now need to switch to a cheque payment, you have a few options. You can either cancel or adjust the payroll (if the option is available), or you can contact us for further assistance. We will guide you through the necessary steps to change the payment method.

Cancel an Individual Employee's Payroll:

  • Check the status of the payroll you want to cancel for the specific employee. Go to the Recent Payroll page and ensure that the payroll status is marked as "processed".
  • Confirm that it is still before 4pm EST on the business day prior to the scheduled pay date.
  • Contact us at support@knitpeople.com. In your email, provide the necessary details, including the employee's name and payroll ID. Clearly state that you would like to cancel the employee's payroll.

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request