Get started: Report previous Payroll
Once Employees have been added, Paygroups have been set up and assigned to employees, and Income types & Deduction types have been created, the next step is to Report Previous Payroll
- Open Get Started > Step 6: Report Previous Payroll
- You will be asked to confirm that all employees have been added to Knit
- If you select Yes, all of my employees are listed above you will be taken to the next Step after selecting Save
- If you select No, I am missing some employees and need to add them now You will be redirected back to the employee onboarding screen after selecting Save
- The next screen will ask you to enter the current year's terminated employees. If you need to add employees that were previous terminated during the current year, select No. I am missing some dismissed employees and need to add them now and select Add Dismissed Employee.
- You will then be prompted to add the terminated employee's information; complete the required fields and click Save. You will be taken back to the screen pictured above, where you can add another terminated employee. Once all terminated employees have been added, select "Yes, All of my dismissed employees are listed above"
There are 2 options for entering your Year To Date information: Entering the YTD Manually and Entering the YTD using the Import Excel Template
Entering YTD Manually
- Select Enter YTD Manually button.
- This screen will not allow you to save and return at a later time to continue entering data. All information must be entered before clicking save!
Enter the YTD using the Import Excel Template
- Select Import Excel Template and select Download Import Template from the drop-down menu
- A CSV. spreadsheet will be in your "downloads" folder. This template can be saved as you work on inputting all the data, therefore allowing you to enter information at your own speed and in your own time in multiple sittings.
Information and Tips
When entering YTD's, It Is important to make sure the following steps have been completed:
- All employees have been added to the system
- At least one paygroup has been set up,
- All income (ex. Holiday Pay, Commission) and deduction types (ex. Life Insurance, Long-term Disability) have been created.
This will ensure that both the manual entry screen and CSV download used for importing, correctly reflect previously added information.
Enter the Payroll Start Date as January 1st unless the business began in the current year. The Payroll End Date requires consideration because the YTD entry in Knit reflects the most recent payroll end date. If you plan on running a final payroll run outside of the Knit People platform, those numbers should be included in this YTD entry. Use the drop-down menu to select the Paygroup (at least 1 paygroup would have needed to be created prior to downloading the YTD Import Template)
Using the light green highlighted areas, enter the information for each column.
- Regular Pay includes only regular pay, all other income types including statutory holiday pay are not included in the Regular Pay, this also applies to Overtime.
- Time Worked on Holiday includes the hours and pay employees have physically worked on holidays. Statutory holiday pay where the employee has not worked but is paid, can be added to the Holiday Pay column
- Enter the information for the remaining column headings
- Enter the Employee and Employer CPP and EI contributions
- The Accrued Vacation Pay column requires you to enter any accrued vacation on file as well as any amounts of vacation already paid up to date (accrued + paid). Calculations are taking place behind the scenes
- The Paid Vacation Pay column reflects only the amounts of vacation paid out.
- Vacation Pay (above image) and Paid Vacation Pay (below) are most often the same amounts but both columns need to be entered for proper importing.
Importing the Excel Template
- Once you have completed entering all the data into the spreadsheet open Get Started > Step 6: Report Previous Payroll
- After reminding the system that all your employees have been entered and dismissed employees have been entered, click on Import Excel Template, and choose to Upload Completed Template.
- Select the document from your computer